Lawyer Defending Shoplifting Arrest in Williamson County, TN
A charge for Shoplifting or Theft of Property can be a Misdemeanor or Felony Offense depending on the value of the items alleged to have been stolen. Depending on where you have been arrested, or charged with a Shoplifting Offense, you may find that the Court and the Prosecutor are far more strict than you may expected. In order to successfully defend a charge for Shoplifting you will need an experienced attorney who aggressively defends their client's Theft Charges as well as many other more serious crimes. There are many defenses which can be raised to help beat a Shoplifting Charge. A good Criminal Defense Attorney will meet with a client and any potential witnesses and try to determine exactly what evidence and what theory the Prosecution may use in order to convict the client. The best strategy and best defense will be determined based upon:
- the strength of the evidence,
- client's statements to Police or Loss Prevention Officer,
- availability of video evidence,
- whether the merchandise was removed from or taken out of the store,
- the client's criminal history, and
- other factors that may be unique to your Shoplifting Arrest.
In order to devise the best strategy to successfully defend your charge for Shoplifting or Theft of Property call (615) 599-7719 to speak with John MIlazo of MIlazo Law, P.C., a Franklin Tennessee Law Firm. Practicing for more than 14 years John MIlazo has helped clients successfully defend Shoplifting Charges in Williamson County, Columbia, Maury County, Murfreesboro, Rutherford County, Nashville, Davidson County and throughout the Middle Tennessee Area. For your free initial consultation call John M. Milazo at (615) 599-7719 or CLICK HERE to leave a message through this website and we will contact you shortly.
Shoplifting Defense Lawyer Columbia, TN | Maury County, Tennessee
Beating a Shoplifting Case has become more difficult than it used to be. In order to beat a Shoplifting Charge an attorney must be familiar with today's technology and how its used in both Mall Security and other retail shopping Stores. Loss Prevention Officers or Security Officers are often well trained and equipped with the latest technology such security cameras, digital audio and video, wireless communication and remote zooming and adjusting of their cameras. Obviously a store like Best Buy will have the latest digital technology and the Loss Prevention Officers will focus on the items that are the most frequently targeted by offenders, as well as, their most expensive merchandise. Cell phones, digital cameras, an Ipod, an Ipad, an Iphone, and CD's and DVD's are among their most often stolen merchandise. Other department stores likes Kohl's, Macy's, or Dillard's, have digital technology where it is allowed but cannot video the dressing rooms. Loss Prevention Officers in these stores are trained to identify and document the most often used shoplifting strategies. These may include:
- tag switching, switching the price tags from an item of lesser value with the price tag of a similar item of a higher value;
- layering clothing, wearing loose fitting long sleeved clothing or coats into the store and carrying multiple items into the dressing room then exiting the store while wearing the new clothes under the more bulky clothing;
- removing theft detection devices from clothing while in the store or possession of shoplifting tools designed to remove these security tags;
- entering a store with bags from another retail department store, whether carrying them or placing them in a stroller or shopping cart, and then using these to disguise or otherwise hide the items intended to be stolen;
- shoplifting teams, multiple people working together, later charged as co-defendant's for Shoplifting or Stealing the same merchandise. One person acts as a lookout or creates a diversion while the other person steals the items even hiding removed tags or the discarded packaging of an item that has been removed and stolen by another person can cause you to be arrested for Shoplifting;
- Theft Rings or Shoplifting Rings. It has become more common with websites like Craigslist and eBay for people to target easy to steal and easy to resell high value items like digital cameras , cell phones,an Iphone, an Ipad, and an Ipod only for the purpose of selling them at a discount price later;
- fraudulent returns of merchandise to a department or retail store, attempting to return stolen merchandise for cash or store credit or returning empty merchandise packages.
Department stores lose significant amounts of money every year to shoplifters and are committed to catching and prosecuting people who try to steal from their stores. These stores are often influential within communities such as CoolSprings and Williamson County, Tennessee. The money paid to the State in sales tax and in property taxes to the counties and local communities by malls such as the CoolSprings Galleria, Green Hills Mall, Opry Mills Mall, Stones River Mall, along with the jobs provided by these institutions make them important to city officials, police departments, judges and prosecutors. For this reason people often underestimate how serious a Shoplifting Charge will be treated and may foolishly decide not to retain an attorney.
If you are charged with Shoplifting from the CoolSprings Galleria Mall or any other store, it is in your best interests to meet with an attorney and prepare a defense. Even if you cannot beat the charge of Shoplifting your personal circumstances can make your sentence for Shoplifting more or less severe. If you have no criminal record and are charged with Shoplifting you may be eligible for Pre-Trial Diversion or Judicial Diversion and may have your Shoplifting charge expunged after probation. Other people with significant criminal history including Shoplifting may be suffering form addiction or may be in an abusive relationship with Domestic Violence or other influences that lead them to continue to steal for survival. These unfortunate individuals charged with Shoplifting are often confused with Theft Rings, a criminal enterprise, who steals for profit and personal gain. To meet with an experienced Criminal Defense Attorney to discuss your situation and determine your best defense to a charge of Shoplifting or other criminal offense, contact John M. MIlazo of the Franklin, TN Law Firm Milazo Law, P.C. at (615) 599-7719 or CLICK HERE to leave a message through this website which we will return shortly.
Theft of Property | Williamson County | Maury County
Serving clients in Williamson County, Franklin TN, Fairview TN, Spring Hill TN, Brentwood TN, Maury County, Columbia TN, Mt. Pleasant TN, Davidson County, Nashville TN, Rutherford County, Murfreesboro TN, Smyrna TN, Lewis County, Hohenwald TN, Perry County, Linden TN, Hickman County, Centerville TN, Lyles TN,Sumner County, Gallatin, TN, Robertson County, Springfield, TN and Giles County, Pulaski, TN Marshall County, Lewisburg TN,, Dickson County, Dickson TN, Burns TN, Bedford County, Shelbyville TN John M. Milazo would be happy to serve you as well.